Sunday, March 27, 2011

Genealogy

Today Brian and I went to the family history class during Sunday School.  I thought going to the class would inspire me to work on the line Dad sent me and also help me get involved other family history things, like checking the duplicate names on New Family Search.  Our first assignment is to find a gap in our pedigree chart to work on.  I already have the line Dad wants me to work on, so I got on New Family Search to look around at some of my family history.  I found that I am  a descendant of Charlemagne, Mary Queen of Scots, Old King Cole, Tiberius the Emperor of Rome, Joseph of Arimathea, and from that point on, I got to this pretty easily:



(click on it to read it)

I have concluded the following from my dabbling in family history:

1. I am a princess.
2. Brian and I are related (quite distantly--he found a line going back to Julius Ceaser).
3. There was a lot of intermarrying in my family tree.
4.  Genealogy gets pretty confusing when you click on the parents of someone, and you end up going in a circle.

I'm sure I will learn a lot more as I go through the class.  Probably the next lesson will be along the lines of "Don't trust everything that is put on New Family Search."

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Haha...I definitely hope that's the next lesson!!

Brian said...

Though Sarah and I are related, it's not exactly close--more like 35th cousins, 5 times removed...or something like that. I think the first common link we saw was Charlemagne--800 A.D. There were probably more links that we didn't see. :-)

Preston said...

Ewwww!!

Joanna said...

Sas, did you forget your young women's lesson about how you are a princess? You should have been knowing that for years!

Joe said...

Ah, the Charlemagne connection, of course, the Allred line has a nice double handful of European royalty in it. My personal favorite is King/St. Lazlo, although Charlemagne is nice, too.