Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ragnar

A month or two ago Janet ran the Ragnar in Arizona.  I thought she was crazy.  Now, she invited us to put a family team together to run the Ragnar Relay Great River.  I must be crazy.  I decided to do it.  Not only is it a good chance to visit home, but since Joseph and Tracy are planning on coming, it will be a good time to get together, plus as Shannon pointed out, we will get to see their new baby, and maybe be there for her blessing.  Anyway, who doesn't want to run a 200 mile relay through Minnesota and Wisconsin?  A team consists of 12 runners, each running 3 legs of varying lengths and difficulties.  I thought I would help us out by deciding who should run each leg.

Here are the confirmed runners:

Dad-he called the easiest leg, and (probably to Ben's chagrin) he will get it
Joseph
Ben
Sarah
Janet

I am guessing that Preston will run, and maybe Emily.  I don't know about Joanna and Ben J., but I'll include them in the analysis in case they join in.

Volunteers:
Tracy- confirmed
Brian- I'm volunteering him

Here are the legs:



And if you are wondering why some shorter ones are moderate or hard, here is the accompanying course overview, including elevation:


You can get a description and map of each leg on Ragnar's website.

Here is the runner breakdown:
Runner 1- Sarah. I like this set because it starts hard and ends easy. Plus I would be in a van with Janet.     
Runner 2
Runner 3- Emily.  Actually, Emily could probably do a harder set if she wanted.
Runner 4
Runner 5- Janet.  This set is the most miles and the most difficult, perfect for Janet
Runner 6- Preston.  Along with runner 5's set, this one is one of the hardest.  I think Preston can do it
Runner 7- Joseph.  This set is moderately difficult.  Runners 7-12 are in van 2.  
Runner 8
Runner 9- Ben.  Second easiest set.
Runner 10- Joanna.  I ran a 10k with Joanna, so I know she can do it.
Runner 11- Ben J.  Joanna can hand off to him!
Runner 12- Dad.  This one is the easiest and shortest, although the last leg is almost 6 miles and uphill. 

Since they don't assign a starting time until later, I couldn't include time of day in the analysis, but I'm sure you would all be happy to be running in the middle of the night.  Ragnar provides training schedules for beginners and intermediates.  The training starts in April, so get running!

If you are reading this blog and would like to run with us, we still have spots open!

5 comments:

Joanna said...

We have not confirmed our participation in this.

Sarah said...

Yeah, that's what I wrote.

Emily said...

Preston and I may have wanted to participate, but Janet did not include us in the email, so I don't think she wants us to :(

Janet said...

No! I emailed everyone. The only reason you guys would have not gotten it would be if I have an old email for you guys. Don't worry, you guys would be the first people I would invite (don't tell anyone else...)

Tracy said...

Go team!