Sunday, October 9, 2011

Washington D.C.

So, I got some work training this last week. It was in Washington D.C. and was Monday through Thursday. That meant that I had to leave early on Sunday and get back late on Friday. It was interesting to go on my first “real” business trip. I have been on other trips to Las Vegas, Salt Lake City [Provo to Salt Lake is a long trip :-) ], St. George, but not to a faraway place like D.C. I had never been to D.C., so it was fun to hit up the tourist attractions after work—turns out many of them close at 5pm, so I could only see the outside of some of them. The training was to learn how to run a satellite uplink. At work, we recently purchased a satellite uplink dish, and have been using it with a few hiccups. A co-worker and I went to this training so we would better understand satellites.

Enough about the work-related part of the trip, here are the pictures:

IMG_1521

Here I am in front of the white house

 

IMG_1541

Here’s the reflecting pool leading up to the Lincoln Memorial—bummer it was under construction.

 

IMG_1544

The Lincoln memorial is huge!

 

IMG_1566

There are a lot of names on that wall—it’s like 40 blocks of wall this size.

 

IMG_1569

Yay, I got to see Tanner (and Rene and Margaret, and Joseph and Tracy and Afton).

 

IMG_1579

Arlington National Cemetery—too bad it closes at 5pm in the fall. We got walk around the perimeter.

 

IMG_1593 - HDR

Cool effect in photoshop—HDR. It lets you combine pictures of the same thing with different exposures, so you get a cool looking picture. Too bad the flag moved in between pictures—although I still kind of like the result.

 

IMG_1616

No tricky photoshop trick here—just a long exposure shot.

6 comments:

vicky wood said...

Great pictures Brian. Looks like you had a great trip.

Margaret said...

Brian, I'm glad that we got to see you and that you got to come to J&T's and meet Tanner. It was fun!

Shannon said...

So fun! That baby looks very content with you. :)

Nathan S. said...

Wow! What a cool trip! Looks like you had lots of fun! Why did they have you go all the way to DC though? Are there no satellite companies in the west?

Brian said...

It was a course fittingly offered by the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB). There probably isn't another course somewhere else (or at lesser quality).

Emily said...

Nice pics. It's just a shame you didn't get one of you and Obama.