The newest health challenge for our insurance consists of having one meal a day that follows the new
non-pyramid food guidelines. This is honestly much easier than last year's challenge of eating 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. It's been pretty easy to put together a meal that has each of the food groups in proper proportions, so I've been trying to broaden our horizons by trying some new recipes that use different proteins or grains than we normally eat. One I tried this week was Morrocan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash, from Allrecipes.
Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash

Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Arrange squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until tender. Dissolve the sugar in the melted butter. Brush squash with the butter mixture, and keep squash warm while preparing the stuffing.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. Mix in the garbanzo beans and raisins. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- Pour the chicken broth into the skillet, and mix in the couscous. Cover skillet, and turn off heat. Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes. Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture to serve.
I really liked this dish. I thought I had everything to make it, but the night before we had it I was going to soak the garbanzo beans, and I found out that we did not have any, dry or canned. I almost broke my rule about never running to the store to buy a dinner ingredient, but I decided to keep my rule and use lentils instead. It still turned out great. I also didn't use celery since I don't like it and don't keep it in the house. I substituted an apple to add more fruit. I probably didn't add any of the filling ingredients (especially cumin) in the proportions listed, but it's a forgiving recipe. We had it with a glass of milk to add dairy.
It was good enough to be added into my dinner rotation, and it doesn't use meat or chicken, which I haven't been too fond of lately. The added bonus was that Brian heard about the African cookbook that I made in elementary school.
1 comment:
Walking, walking all through Africa....
I think we still had some of those couscous hanging around the house when you graduated.
Post a Comment