Friday, September 14, 2012

Summer Squash Recipes

This summer we planted two zucchini plants, and we got a whopping four zucchini from them. Luckily, Brian's parents had an overload of crookneck squash, so I almost got my fix of summer squash. Out of all the squash we had, I never once made zucchini bread, which is too bad. I really like zucchini bread. If by chance you had a bumper squash season, I will share some new favorite recipes to use up some of the bounty.

Corn and Zucchini Melody

4 slices bacon
2 cups chopped zucchini (or other summer squash)
1 1/2 cups corn
1 small onion, chopped
1 pinch pepper
shredded cheese (I used parmesan because that's all I had, the original recipe calls for Monterey Jack)

Fry the bacon until crisp. Take out bacon and chop. Reserve 1 T drippings. Add zucchini, corn, and onions to hot bacon grease. Season with pepper. Saute for 10 minutes. Add in chopped bacon and cheese.

I also added in halved grape tomatoes (we have an abundance), and I used some extra seasonings. This was gooood. That bacon flavor really adds a lot.


Sausage, Squash, and Rice Skillet

1 c brown rice
2 c water
1 lb bulk sausage
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 c onion, chopped
2-3 c chopped squash (I used zucchini and crookneck)
1/2 c beef broth 
salt and pepper
shredded cheese

Cook rice in water until all the water is absorbed, about 50 minutes. Meanwhile, brown sausage in large skillet until cooked through. Add in green pepper, onion, and squash. Saute until tender. Add cooked rice and broth and stir. Season to taste. Top with shredded cheese.

I made up this recipe, and Brian and I both liked it a lot. I don't know how much squash I used, but it could have used more. The leftovers were just as good.


Potato Squash Cakes

2 cups shredded potatoes
1 cup shredded yellow squash
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 egg
4 tablespoons self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cooking oil


In a large bowl, combine potatoes, squash, onion, egg, flour, garlic salt, salt, and pepper. If the batter is too thin, add more flour; if too thick, add milk. Form batter into 3-inch patties. Cover the bottom of a large skillet with just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and heat over medium-high heat. Place patties in hot oil, and cook until golden brown on each side; drain on paper towels.

I didn't love these because I generally hate frying things in oil. Everything and everyone smells like oil, and it splatters everywhere. Despite that, I made them because we had all the stuff and they looked quick. They were okay. If you don't mind frying things in oil, you might really like these. Maybe in the future I'll try again, but I'll just spray a pan with nonstick cooking spray.


Zucchini Brownies

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded zucchini

6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

I've made these twice. The first time they turned out really bizarre. I think the squash I used was too dry. The second time I used a nice moist zucchini, and they were awesome. And this could be a positive or negative depending on who is consuming the brownies-- I couldn't see or taste the zucchini.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

They all sound good. Sadly, we did not have a single zucchini this year. I like Egg Stuffed zucchini, zucchini goop and Aunt MaryAnn's Fudge brownies with zucchini.

Joanna said...

mmmm...we wish we had our own zucchini. and don't forget about the zucchini gnocchi deliciousness!

Emily said...

You made up a recipe? You should start a food blog! I didn't eat nearly enough zucchini this year.

Janet said...

I miss your zucchini, too.