Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dinner in a Pumpkin

Because I'm all domestic, I made dinner in a pumpkin today. I was inspired by Emily and the fact that we got a few pumpkins for a dollar each. The dinner was...AWESOME. I was a little nervous because I've never actually cooked a pumpkin before, and we didn't get sugar pumpkins, just regular. I read a few recipes online and then made up my own.


Here's what I did:

1 pumpkin, cleaned
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped (It could have used more, but that's all I had.)
1 carrot, sliced
1 lb ground turkey
1 can cream of mushroom soup, I used low sodium
1 T soy sauce
about 2 cups of cooked rice, I used a mix of brown and white
pepper
garlic

Saute vegetables in a little bit of oil until tender. Add ground turkey and brown. Season with garlic and pepper. Add in soup and rice; mix. Fill pumpkin and replace lid. Cook for about an hour on a baking sheet at 350 degrees.

I also sprayed the pumpkin with a little bit of cooking spray. I don't know if it helped anything. I try not to use condensed soups too much when I cook since they are on the expensive side for a dinner and they are high in sodium, but in this recipe, it was perfect. If I had more time, maybe I could have whipped up a different sauce. A big plus was that there were lots of leftovers, especially of pumpkin.

I didn't know pumpkin was so similar to spaghetti squash. Now I feel bad that I bought squash at the store for $.99/lb when I could have been cooking up dollar pumpkins.


Bonus! Here are our obligatory Halloween pictures:

At the ward Halloween party. She had a blowout in the turkey costume. Maybe that's why she looks so alarmed.

At the Halloween 5k

Ready to go trick-or-treating

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Good for you, you creative girl! Looks like Janet and Jacob missed out.

Joanna said...

I need to do that with the pumpkin we didn't get around to carving.

Emily said...

$1 pumpkins? No fair! We didn't get to have dinner in a pumpkin this year because we had to support the Boy Scouts and pay $5 each for tiny pumpkins. Oh well. I still plan on roasting and pureeing them.

Janet said...

You can roast and puree tiny pumpkins? No way! That's going to be my new weekend activity.

Brian said...

I guess you can buy full-sized pumpkins for $1 when you buy them two days before halloween, and the guy selling them has a couple hundred in the back of a truck. Getting a little desperate I guess.

Margaret said...

Actually, I feel like eating this tonight. Wish you were here to make it for me.

Joanna said...

We had dinner in a pumpkin tonight.
I wasn't super impressed with it, but I do feel pretty awesome about the frozen pumpkin we have in the freezer now!