The night of November 9, we had a very wet snow for a few hours. Then it turned into a regular snow for the rest of the night. About 10:30, shortly after I had fallen asleep, Sarah woke me up and said we needed to check what had just happened out front; she had heard something loud. I was in one of those incoherent modes, so Sarah went and checked and told me to come look. I went to the front window and noticed that a third of our front tree had split off, right from the trunk and fallen over into the street. I had to be to work at 7am the next morning, so I decided that I would have to wake up at 4:30 to work on cutting the tree out of the street (with my hand saw). I set my alarm and went back to bed. We woke up to probably 10-12 inches of snow on the ground. We checked the windows and found that the front yard tree had once again split off a third at the trunk, right over our driveway and partially hanging from our roof. Then we checked the backyard tree, and saw that it had basically split in half and fallen over into our yard and was resting on the fence. YIKES! I got busy cutting and successfully removed all branches from the road and sidewalk and also from the driveway. Sarah helped by shoveling the foot of snow from the driveway and sidewalk. I went to work a little late, and when I came home, the Elder’s Quorum/Ward had already cut down the tree. They came back the next Saturday (a few days ago) and chopped down the backyard tree. What a help that was! Also, I went and bought a chainsaw, so I could help out with the second round; tree #2. Here are the pictures:
It may not look like a lot branches, but it was.
Pictures make it hard to see scale, but those are some pretty big branches that split off the trunk of the tree.
Backyard tree
Our house, now, without a tree. The backyard tree hadn’t been cut down, when this picture was taken. The snow has now all melted too.
5 comments:
You guys will have to plant some more easier manageable trees now.
I loved those trees! The first time we ever came to your house, Janet guided us by saying, " it's the one with the big tree.". Joanna is right-- you'll have to plant some other nice trees.
Too bad you guys don't live closer so Dad could help cut it down and use the firewood.
How in the world did those trees last that long when they caved after the first snow?
If it helps, I always thought those trees were ugly.
Post a Comment