Monday, March 11, 2013

It's been five years

Five years ago I entered the MTC with my little orange dork dot. (It matched my sweater vest!)


I had a wonderful mission. It was hard, but it was definitely a great experience. Recently I've heard of a few sisters that have gone on a mission, didn't get married, and gone on another mission several years later. I don't know if I could do that, but at the time it was the right choice, and I'm certainly glad I served a mission.


I love Peru and its people. I'd love to go back, especially to see Machu Picchu. 

                                       

Sometimes when I think back to my time in Peru, It's almost hard to believe I did it: I lived in a third-world country; I ate strange foods; I lived among, taught, and loved people from a very different culture; I put on hold my life as a student and didn't see my family for 18 months; I wore a skirt and hose for 18 months.


I still occasionally have dreams about being on a mission or being in Peru.


A few months ago in the Ensign, there was a story about a girl in college who was content with her current situation in life, and a little sad that things would be changing. She was suddenly struck by the thought: good things keep on coming.

I had a great mission, but since then good things have come.

Like this:


and this:

and this:

                                     


And I'm sure that good things will still keep coming.

Disclaimer: Tomorrow is actually the five year anniversary, but I had more time to blog today.

4 comments:

vicky wood said...

We had a good thing happen in our family when you married Brian. We love you!

Joe said...

Wow, 5 years ago? You must be old.

I have actually had several sreams/nightmares of being called back to Puerto Rico, even after Afton was born.

Joanna said...

You wore hose for the whole 18 months!?

Sarah said...

Well, some of them were nightmares. And I guess I didn't wear hose at night.