I wanted to pass on my new found knowledge from America's Test Kitchen. In an episode that Brian and I saw recently, they demonstrated how to chicken two ways for two recipes. The one I found most useful was how to poach chicken without over drying it. They highlighted a chicken salad recipe where there wasn't an overwhelming amount of mayo and the chicken was nice and moist. The cooking method involved placing the raw chicken in salted, cool water. They brought the water up to 170 degrees, put a tight lid on the pan and took it off the heat. After 15-17 minutes, the chicken should reach 165 degrees, but it won't go over, so you'll get juicy chicken. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds foolproof.
One recipe I have tried is their Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. I've had trouble making consistently good chocolate chip cookies forever. The one on the back of the chocolate chip bag doesn't cut it. I've had good success with these cookies, but the last batch I made ended with half the cookies big. thick and chewy, and half the cookies thin and spread way too much, and I didn't change the dough, time or temperature. They all tasted good though, and the good ones are terrifically thick and chewy.
| These were originally on different pans, but I put them together for comparison. |
In one of my latest issues of Cook's Illustrated, they had a section called Foolproof Pizza at Home. We have homemade pizza a lot around here, so that appealed to me. I like the crust from Emily's blog, but Brian likes thick bread on the bottom of his pizza, and I don't always get the crust started in time. I most often use one from Brian's mom that requires no rise time and is nice and thick for Brian. but, I want to try this Cook's Illustrated version. I haven't made it yet because the dough takes 24 hours in the fridge, and they say to use a food processor, which I don't have. But, if you want to try it, let me know how it goes.
Thin-Crust Pizza
makes two 13-inch pizzas
3 c (16.5 ounces) bread flour
2 T sugar
1/2 t instant yeast
1 1/3 c ice water
1 T oil
1 1/2 t salt
In a food processor fitted with dough blade, pulse flour, sugar, and yeast until combines, about 5 pulses. With food processor running, slowly add ice water; process until just combined, about 10 seconds. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
Add oil and salt and process nutil satiny, sticky ball forms that clears sides of bowl, 30-60 seconds. Transfer dough to oiled counter and knead for a minute. Shape dough into a tight ball, and place in an oiled bowl. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate at least 24 hours, at most 3 days.
When ready to use, divide the ball in half and let sit for and hour, tightly covered.
Top with toppings, and bake on a preheated stone (or inverted cookie sheet) at 500 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Don't be scared to cook it that hot if you've never done it. Really, it's better cooked the highest your oven will go.
6 comments:
We really like that show, too. But, we haven't been able to figure out when it comes on so we can watch it on a regular basis.
The one recipe we tried from them was chicken fricasse. It was meh.
Were the cookies that spread put onto a warm cookie sheet thus prolonging the cookie time a little? That is all I can think of.
No, they were cold cookie sheets. The directions say to put two pans in at the same time on the most middle racks, then switch them halfway through. I accidently tapped one of the pans when I switched them. That's the only thing I can think of that was different, but the next cookie sheet went in by itself, no moving during cooking, and they also turned out flat. Weird.
Dad likes them flat like that.
I'm just impressed that you were able to resist just eating the cookie dough and actually made cookies. Oh, if I could have such self-discipline.
I second that, Tracy.
Post a Comment