Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cool Things I Would Buy for Baby #2

Our second baby is due in less than three months, and I've been starting to get ready for his arrival. Between leftover stuff from Camille, things people let us borrow (thank you!), and things people have given us, we don't need much. However, there are a few things that I think would be really nice to have...if I didn't care about spending money and accumulating lots of stuff. We're frugal people, and I can think of lots of other ways to spend money, and I just hate having a lot of stuff. I dislike clutter, I am kind of ruthless about what kind and how many toys Camille can have, and I have no problems donating anything I don't want around the house. I fondly look back to my mission where everything I owned fit into two suitcases. That being said, here are some things that would be nice to have for a second baby if I didn't care about those things.

1. Arm's Reach Mini Co-sleeper


Between the borrowed Moses basket, the crib, and the pack'n'play, we don't need another place for a baby to sleep. However, it would be convenient to have the baby right there at the the side of the bed and not have to bend over to get him. 

2. Leachco Safer Bather Infant Bath Pad

We used a borrowed classic blue baby bathtub with the sling thing for Camille, and it worked just fine. But it's so big and bulky, and the sling got cold pretty fast. Really I just dislike the big and bulky part, and this thing looks more compact and comfortable. Even if we don't use the baby bathtub, we probably won't buy anything because a washcloth works just fine to keep the baby from slipping around the sink/tub.

3. HealthPro EBB-1 "Watch-ME-Grow" Digital Baby Scale
With all the worry about Camille gaining enough weight and the milk sensitivity issue, this would have been really nice to have. Hopefully that won't be an issue with this baby at all. If it is, I will have to consider whether this would be worth it.

4. WiFi Baby 2.0 - Wireless iPhone, iPad, Android, Baby Monitor & Nanny Cam DVR. 

This is a wi-fi video baby monitor that uses your phone or tablet to show the video. It does pretty much everything--apparently you don't even have to be near your baby to take care of him. For how much it costs, it ought to feed your baby, too. We already have a monitor, and it's even a video monitor. The screen is like 20 pixels big, but hey, it works.

5. Infant Pacifier Thermometer
I always thought this was a cool idea and I thought about getting one. Then I wondered how you clean it without getting anything wet that shouldn't get wet. Then I wondered how well an electronic device that goes in a baby's mouth works anyway. And then I decided it's not worth it.

6. 2014 Toyota Highlander Hybrid


Ha. We visited and revisited this issue, and every time we decided we should wait. We will have to upgrade to a bigger vehicle sometime, but for now, the smallest car seat available costs a lot less than a new car. In the meantime, we can save money by driving two little compact cars that get great gas mileage and don't cost very much to insure.

Edited to add: If a 2014 Toyota Highlander Hybrid with third row seats or any other family vehicle just ended up in our driveway with a big bow on it, I wouldn't complain about having more stuff :)

Whenever I start wanting to buy things I keep these things in mind:






8 comments:

Margaret said...

Good post, Sarah. And thanks for the scripture.

Joanna said...

I really wanted a Puj brand bath seat for Russell. They look pretty compact, too.

And, I also considered a new monitor system because they had a better one at Big Lots. Then I remembered how much I loathed that thing.

I've seen some pretty interesting baby items on pinterest that would have been really convenient.

Honda Pilots are quite versatile. We enjoyed Ben's grandparents for a day over Christmas and have added it to our list of acceptable upgrade vehicles. But, we keep coming to the same conclusion that our car is fine until we outgrow it.

Janet said...

I REALLY wanted a scale for Brooke. I still do. And a puj tub. We just have one of those bath seats that folds down. It's easier for Brooke to fall out of, but does what it's supposed to.

Sarah said...

I liked the puj tub too, but we bathed Camille mostly in the bath tub, so I realized it wouldn't work in there very well.

I also like Honda Pilots. They are on my upgrade list. In fact, they are probably above Highlanders because Highlanders are overpriced.

Emily said...

I wish people would stop buying stuff for my kids. I, however, wish I could buy more things, mostly kitchen appliances. Oh, yes and a new car.

Emily said...

Instead of #1, you should just use a laundry basket. It worked great for Lauren. I never wanted a scale because my kids are bruisers. A pacifier thermometer wouldn't be very effective for my offspring, but I do want one of those forehead swipe thermometers. We've never used a monitor and never really seen the need, but maybe in a house we would. We'll see.

Janet said...

Are you hinting at something, Emily?

Emily said...

No? 😔😢😣😤😡😠😝😘😚😜😖😔😓😏😐😒😎😍😌😇😈😋😆😅😄😉😁😂😞😊😃