We've had a very busy week with lots of long nights. That has led the kids to be progressively worse-behaved each day, and especially each night.
When we went to my mission reunion last night, I was the last to arrive and the first to leave. Brian had to work, so I took the kids by myself, and they were monsters. Both my mission president and the girl I sat by offered to hold Owen so I could eat and help Camille go potty, and each time he ended up back with me within 10 seconds. The only time they were good was when they were eating cookies.
Owen was so tired for his nap that he fell asleep standing up in his crib. Every time he started falling over, he caught himself, all while asleep. I got this bad picture, but unfortunately he woke up from the sound of the camera and wouldn't go back to sleep.
The kids were so wild that by the time of the Christmas party this evening, disaster struck. Brian was working and I had to be there, so I took the kids by myself. Both kids wanted to run around, and I was determined to keep them from running around as that is a big pet peeve of mine at church functions. Camille made it out to the hall once and took off. I couldn't see her by the time I got out there. I frantically looked for her for the next ten minutes. When I was about to ask a bunch of people to help me find her, I saw a sister in the ward carrying her to me. Camille had gotten outside and was alone, crying and cold. The lady fortunately heard her and brought her in. I was glad it was this lady because her kids are rather wild, so she didn't judge.
Camille was brave enough at the party to sing with the primary and to sit on Santa's lap. She told him she was three and told him her name, but wouldn't tell him what she wanted. She did tell me earlier today that she wants Santa to bring her a hot dog stand. Good thing she wasn't courageous enough to tell him that tonight. He told her that he would just pick something nice to give her.
I've also been missing the snow. I do enjoy when the clouds sit on the mountains like this, though.




6 comments:
Ah...parenthood. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you should just let go of the no running around the church thing. When kids are at church outside a church setting, that's just what they do. It bothers me too, but with all the kids there going crazy, it's not really fair to expect yours to sit still at the table. Although, the possibility of them going outside does scare me too. I think event planner should be better about planning things for kids to do at church parties that will make them want to stay inside.
I think you need a night out alone.
No!
I also dislike the running. We have trained Russell enough that he doesn't run around before our church functions, but once he is done eating, then he gets down and run. The first time it happened, he, too, was outside all by himself at the park next to the church. Ever since then he has been mostly good, until, the Thanksgiving pie party where he was supposed to be under Ben's watch, but he slipped out to go potty and got his fingers stuck in the bathroom door (like tons of other kids, but no one has done anything to loosen the door so it isn't like pushing a 200 pound person), and we didn't find him until I came back from changing Meghan's diaper and realized he was gone.
Our Christmas party was more successful because they closed off the overflow, and had the gym pretty much full of tables :) And, we were the mean parents that would not let Russell and Meghan get down.
I can totally relate about the running off! Ted will be super well behaved so I will let my guard down and then he will just take off. It is simultaneously annoying and terrifying. You are very brave to go to these functions by yourself!
Another thought...We take Meghan's chair to any church function involvong food. It keeps her locked into place leaving us able to eat and manage Russell. A hassle to haul, maybe, but very worth it mentally.
This is Ben.
I want a hot dog stand too.
Fully stocked.
Post a Comment