Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Olympic Fare: Rio Edition

In keeping with my tradition, we've been enjoying some foods from this year's Olympics host country.

Since the opening ceremonies seem to always be on a Friday night, we seem to always have Olympic ring pizza. It was kind of a flop this year. I did read that pizza in Brazil tends to be thin crust, floppy, with plain tomato sauce (no seasonings), and my pizza ended up that way somewhat by accident. I tried to stuff the crust with cheese; it was semi-successful. Also, I forgot to get olives, so we didn't have any black things for that ring.

Camille has been really into making personal pizzas, so she made hers into a kitty since the dough kind of stretched that way.


The first Brazilian meal we had was feijao, beans and rice. I just used my normal black beans and rice recipe since it seemed similar to the recipes I saw. I also noticed that a lot of the recipes included meat in the beans, so I threw in an extra brat we had in the fridge and some leftover pulled pork from a branch picnic. I think I would have liked it better without the meat, and honestly, most Brazilians probably eat their beans without the meat.


Next was pao de queijo, Brazilian cheese bread. I love these things at Tucanos, so I was excited to make it. YUM! They were so stinking good. I highly recommend, even though it's a bit of a splurge with the tapioca flour and the cheese. They didn't really make balls, more like pancakes. Next time I'll add even more tapioca flour so they can be round. Brian and I ate most of them, which means between us we had 1/2 c oil, almost 3 cups of tapioca flour, and 1-1 1/2 cups of cheese. Brian was nostalgic because they reminded him of Paraguayan chipa.


I made some fried bananas to go with the cheese breads. Brian reminded me that the fried bananas at Tucanos are breaded, but I just fried mine how I always had them on my mission. I'm a big fan of fried bananas. On my mission we had them usually cut in half lengthwise, but the Brazilian "recipes" I saw said to cut them in half widthwise, so I did that.



Yum. Best Olympic foods to date. Also, the cheese breads and the fried bananas probably made it the highest calorie foods to date, but it was worth it. I am still planning on making the roast beef, tomato and cheese sandwich because it sounds easy. We'll see about the seafood soup.




3 comments:

Joanna said...

We had those sandwiches, and they were super tasty. I was hesitant because I don't like roast beef. Nothing to worry about.

Our cheese bread was . . . interesting? I don't know if I made it right.

Janet said...

Our cheese ball things were most delicious.
I've also made feijado (that's how it was spelled on the reunion open I used), and I liked it. I used bacon.

Seriously though, the pizzas look kind of gross. Is there any cheese on them?

Sarah said...

The cheese was really finely shredded, so the sauce bubbled up into the cheese and made it pink.