Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Summer is Winding Down

Due to the university beginning early, school here starts in two weeks. Camille is going to miss the beginning of preschool because we planned our trip to Utah for that week without realizing that preschool starts then too. So, our fun summer activities are winding down. 

Free lunch ended, so I'm back to making lunches for my kiddos. Owen never ate much of the school lunches, but at least I wasn't making food he then didn't eat. Along with the end of school lunch was the end of "shopping" for the kids, where they got to choose a grocery bag of food to take home on the weekends. The program actually does continue during the school year, but they put together the bags for the kids that actually don't have food at home and somehow distribute them discreetly. It was nice for them to choose some food and snacks all by themselves and it slightly lowered our food bill.

The kids often got to play on the playground at the school where free lunch was, and they both learned how to climb the rock wall. I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant for a two year old...


In an effort to be a fun mom (I got jealous of how fun Camille's pretend mom was), I made some peanut butter play dough. It was also a good activity for getting Owen some extra calories.


There are one or two Adventure Club adventures left this summer, I haven't gone to all of them, but it has been nice to do some things I wouldn't go out of my way to do. My favorite so far has been the fish hatchery. The kids got to feed the fish in the raceway (it was pretty full of fish, but hard to see in the picture), and touch some tortoises and crabs. There is also a free little aquarium there.



Camille has been really deep in her imaginative play, and it has recently included Wild Kratt-style animal play. When we were bears we got to hibernate in the "den." I was the best hibernator. 



2 comments:

Preston said...

Did you think about The Giver when you were at the fish hatchery? And is that free sunscreen in one of those bags? I wish you would stop bragging about all your free stuff.

Joanna said...

I wish we could play hibernation. I would be the best hibernator, too.