Tuesday, November 1, 2016

All Is Safely Gathered In

This was our first try gardening in a new location. We moved in at the end of April, so we were busy moving and didn't get the garden in until late. We also didn't have a good idea of which areas of the yard would get full sun when. We still managed a respectable harvest.

We planted four tomato plants and one green pepper plant, and we had more success with them than we ever did in Provo. We mostly made tomato sauce and froze it, which has turned out really well. It is cooked so it doesn't get the weird frozen tomato texture, and we didn't have to bother with canning. We did make some salsa to can for the first time. We did 12 pints over two batches, and both times it was a tiring undertaking; however, hearing the jars ping as they come out of the water bather and seal is one of the most satisfying sounds ever. Hopefully we did everything right and it doesn't kill us.

I know I took a picture of the salsa, but I can't find it now.

We successfully produced carrots. We never could grow them in Utah, but we used the existing planter boxes left at our new house and got about twelve carrots. They are very mild tasting.


The zucchini and cauliflower were total flops, and the radishes and chard were mostly useless.

One of the reasons I love fall is the harvest celebration. Also the fall leaves. I have missed fall in the Midwest, and it was especially beautiful this year. There's nothing like driving down the road seeing the fall colors and watching the combine bring in the crops.



Halloween is not one of the reasons I like fall.



3 comments:

Joanna said...

Camille and Owen look cute!

You should try beets because we had an awesome harvest the year we had a garden.

vicky wood said...

Beautiful fall pictures.

Janet said...

Haha I think that astronaut costume is funny. You don't see many astronauts for Halloween, so it's awesome you got her to want to be that.