The neighbor's dog came to visit when the kids were playing outside in the snow one day. Owen had a heyday playing with her. Camille screamed and screamed, and when I took her inside, she and Emily sat at the back door looking out and sobbing. When we were out for a walk/scooter ride one morning, some dogs came walking by with their owners. Owen asked to say hi, and loved the dog licking him and socializing with him.
We have been wondering if a dog would help Owen. It would give him some responsibility, allow him to burn off some energy, give him some nonjudgmental love and a stress outlet. I would like to have a dog to run with. Brian just likes dogs in general.
Those potential benefits aside, we live in a climate where it is bitter cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. We would want the dog to spend most of its time outside, but it would have to come inside during much of the winter. Dogs are expensive. We have small children. We would like a puppy so we can train it and get it used to kids (especially for Camille's benefit), but puppies have accidents and come without knowing their personality. We already have a cat.
But look at these cuties!
This one is for Jacob (isn't this the kind he wants?)



4 comments:
NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! What is with all you people wanting dogs??
I am totally against dogs. The are not soft and cuddly little creatures. They are loud and require a lot of work.
So many people on my mission had dogs, and I had to tolerate them. Yuck.
Getting a kitten was a super stressful event in our house. Meghan still talks about how she screamed and didn't like it.
Be prepared for an increase in stress, frustration, anxiety, work. Should I give you more reasons?
Puppies are a lot of work to train. But they can be great for the kids and become a (nonjudgmental) part of the family. Owen would probably love it. You don't know the personalities of puppies, but you can train them how you want. Older dogs are more set in their ways. Puppies are also a gentler introduction to dogs, for Camille. Labs are good family d
Make sure you have a friend or someone to watch it when you go on vacations. I said that to Jacob recently, and he told me the dog would come with us. No.
We had a "dog trial" when we lived in Muncie. We had it a week and I was tired of it after a day. We lived in a teeny apartment, so the dog was a big presence and couldn't go out much, because I wasn't taking out a two year old and a baby while trying to walk it. It plowed the girls over all the time. It was 1 and hadn't ever been trained. We couldnt really afford it, especially yo train it. Jacob still talks about how I'm the one that doesn't like dogs. I like dogs that can be outside A LOT and by themselves.
If you get one, don't tell Jacob, okay?
And yes, that's the dog he likes.
Yeah, we've weighed the pros and cons. I talked to the vet when I took Holly in to get her shots, and he recommended a lab or maybe Australian shepherd. We have no fence, but we do have a decent sized dog run. And we would probably board it ($$$) when we go on vacation unless our friends a few houses down could come feed and walk it. It would not come with us.
Post a Comment