Monday, May 19, 2008

Dear family,

I have a lot to write, but we get 45 minutes for internet. First, I can only receive email from Mom's email address, so to email me, just send it to Mom, and she can send it to me.

Wednesday we went to the mission office and home to get trained a little and have our entrevistas with the president. President and Sister Linstrom are great. He grew up in Ucon, Idaho, and one of their sons was in my freshman ward. We had lunch at their apartment, and it was good to eat real American food. I finally learned about my mission. About half the mission is in Lima, half in the provinces, including the mountain highlands, and the jungle. There are only 14 hermanas, and only 4, including the 2 of us who entered are NorthAmericans. Last month, the mission had 305 baptisms. I am sad because they closed the jungle area for hermanas, and I hear that it is gorgeous. The Lindstroms finish their mission in July.

In the afternoon, we got our assignments. My first area is the area of Huánuco. I stayed the night with some sisters in Lima, and the next morning, those of us going to the province left. It was almost a 12 hour bus ride to get here, and the road is high. The Andes are amazing. That night we arrived, and I met my companion, Hermana Espinoza. She is really nice, and about a foot shorter than me. Our pension is in the house of the stake president, and the wife is the pensionista. President Lindstrom said she is one of the best in the mission, but so far I haven't been too impressed.

Friday, we started working. The people here are very humble. Some of the houses only have a little bed, a table, and a chair or two, and some sort of animal running around. Before I left the CCM, I was thinking about how I missed hiking, but realmente, we have to hike to get to the houses here. I don't know how the antiguos do it. The area is pretty, but it hasn't rained in awhile, so it's really dusty. Mom, I can't tract in my brown shoes, but it's okay, because my black shoes are all brown now. The dogs here are terrible. Hermana Espinoza almost got bit last night, but the dog only got her clothes.

We have a baptism set for Saturday, but we need permission for it because the hermano has only attended sacrament meeting 2 times, and the requirement is 4. The past few days we had 3 really good first lessons from referrals, and I am excited to see how they are doing. The first day here, after the first lesson, we did a street contact, and the family had gone to a baptism that was last week. We have an appointment with them tomorrow. In these miracles I can really see the Lord's hand in the work.

We have 1 barrio and 2 ramas in our area, so yesterday, we had to go to all three to see which investigators went to church. I was called on to share my testimony in one, and the branch president asked me to teach the members a hymn in the smallest rama. The music here is terrible. Nobody knows how to play the piano, so they do without, and they change the notes of the songs. It was also really slow, and I almost started laughing because in one branch we sang Angels we Have Heard on High.

I am happy, and I love the work. I don't know my address here, but when I do, I'll send it. Huanuco is pretty far away from civilization, so I don't know how long it will take for mail. Thanks for the mail. When I got to the mission office, there was a stack of mail for me.

To Janet-Good job with the hat tricks! And I have something for your birthday, but I don't know when I'll be able to send it. So, be patient and know that I remember.

To Mom- I'm thinking of stuff I would like in the package. So far, I'm pretty interested in cookies and candy. I'll probably send some pictures next week. Do you think you could have some of the pictures I send printed at like Wal-mart or somewhere? About the family newsletter, you can just send it to the mission office. For Carolyn's letters, I don't know, but I'll think about it. Sorry about the typing errors, the keyboard is really loose.

Love,
Sarah

No comments: