Monday, May 4, 2009

Dear Family,
Thanks for all your love and support. Things keep moving along here. It was another pretty boring week. We had some good experiences to break up the routine, and some not quite so good experiences. One of the funnier things that happened involves a grandma who called out to us in the street. So we went to talk to her. She was chewing coca leaves, which is against the word of wisdom for having some narcotic substances, but it's really common here. What is not common is that she was dipping them in some sort of powder, and eating the powder. I'm not sure what it was, but when we finished talking, she was high. But her daughter was really interested, and accepted a return visit. Today we are planning on going to a carnival type thing where they have fair rides. I'm excited about it.

We have been working hard and focusing a lot on being constant in finding new investigators. We had a baptism planned for this week, but the guy didn't come to church, so he can't be baptized yet. Our goal for the month of May is five, and we are going to reach it thanks to three sisters (YW) who are going to get baptized.

We also had a good change of heart experience. We went to visit a family of 4 YSA girls. One of them was there, so we taught her. She was with a guy that was her boyfriend, I think. We were teaching about the Book of Mormon, and they weren't really paying attention, and were kind of making fun of the situation, but we just kept going. After we taught and read the introduction, we were going to leave 3 Nephi 11 for them to read. The guy said he actually had a Book of Mormon, but had never been interested enough to open it, but now he was kind of interested. We were getting ready to go, and he asked if we could read the chapter right then. So we did.
We've also run into some anti-Mormon sentiment this week, but you just take it as you go. After a conversation in which a guy told us to find a church that was holy, we had a really good lesson with a 19 year old single mother that wants to change her life. I guess there is opposition in all things, but we know who is going to win in the end.

The people who are ending at the same time as me got their "trunky" letters, but I didn't get one, so I'm going to ask Pres. Leyva when we have interviews if everything is scheduled for me to end in August.

Thanks for the picture and thanks for looking into the Spanish minor for me. It sounds like a lot more work than I want to do. If I decide to go for a Spanish minor, I'll just wait till I get home to sign up. If I really want to get a minor, I'm only 5 credits away from a chemistry minor. but they are 5 hard credits, so I've been avoiding it. Maybe my last semester I could take those classes so that I won't risk losing my scholarship if I get a bad grade.

Oh, we were going to make the pachamanca this week, but Hno Alfredo isn't going to be home until the next week, so Janet the chicken was saved for another week. Her chicken friend has gotten way bigger than her, but they both eat a ton. I'm disappointed because supposedly she was supposed to lay eggs, but no one has seen an egg. Hna Clariza said we'll see if eggs were forming when we open her up. Isn't that a lovely thought?

Love you all lots,
Sarah

No comments: