Monday, June 29, 2009

Dear family,

First, Mom, I got the package! But I haven't opened it yet because there are elders around who will ask for all the food. I also got the YSA newsletter. PS- Joanna, your hair was really good in the picture. And I got a letter from grandma. But I don't have any stamps left, so nobody should expect a letter back unless they send a stamp.

This week was difficult. We had two baptisms planned, but only one of the people got baptized. We didn't get in to teach too many lessons, but we did find an amazing investigator. A few weeks ago we were walking home, and we passed two women. We just said buenas noches and kept going, but after we passed them they started whispering, then they called us. They explained that their mother, 92 years old, was very sick in bed, and they asked us to visit her. So we went. They weren't lying (that isn't spelled right but I can't figure out how to spell it) when they said she was really sick. She was so emaciated that her body hardly made a bump under the blankets, and she wasn't eating or talking. It was kind of weird, and we didn't know what to do, so we sang a hymn and said a prayer and left. She was basically just suffering, so they wanted her to be out of that. We came back two days later and someone told us she had died and they were doing funeral stuff. We came back this week to try to teach one of them, but only a 19 year old kid was there. But he said he had been living in another part of Huancayo, and the missionaries had visited him. He had been going to the church there to play soccer Tuesday nights. But he lost contact when he moved to our area. So we started teaching him, and he is awesome. He accepted a baptismal date and said he would like to serve a mission. We just have to take care of him so that he can progress.

Nothing much really happened, well only strange bad stuff. Note for Janet: I got hit in the head with a board also. It was in a really bizarre string of events, and I really didn't know what had happened, but it didn't hit me hard. It was mostly just funny. We were in this weird house/shoe factory and the lady had given us a bottle of outdated soda, Crush, and a (1) dirty glass to drink it. All the sudden I felt something falling on me. Also the same day one of our investigators gave us a chunk of her dead sheep to eat. She told us it was fine to eat because the sheep didn't have any sign of sickness. She explained that it probably died because some fairy like creature took its soul. I still didn't want to eat it, especially after carrying in the hot sun in my hand all morning, so we gave it to the pensionista, and she ate it. I did try a new fruit, tumbo. The girl who got baptized gave it to us, and when we ate supper, we tried it. It was really sour, so we only ate a little, but then Hna Garner offered to buy me a bag of Doritos if I ate the whole thing. So I did. I won the chips, but I had stomach cramps all night.

Today is a holiday, so everyone is out of school/work, and when we work this evening they will probably be drunk already. Tomorrow is a transportation paro, so nobody will be able to get anywhere, so they canceled classes and work for a lot of people. They are doing this so that the government repeals a law that the busses can't drop people off in the middle of the street, they have to drop them off at the curb.

Um, not much else. I love you all.
Sarah

No comments: