Monday, July 13, 2009

Dear Family,

I'm in my new area, Santa Anita. I got here Friday in the afternoon, and the trip was uneventful. The best part of the trip is that they play movies on the bus, and they turn the volume up high, so you pretty much have to watch, so all the missionaries do. I saw Enchanted, and some other stupid movie. When the bus got to Lima, it was all the sudden really cloudy and smoggy, and I wanted to go back to Mantaro, but I'm getting used to Lima again. Santa Anita is a middle upper class area. We live in a nice room where there is constant water and electricity and the floor is tiled, not just cement. Plus we have a balcony. It's been a little shock trying to get used to it because where I was before was the complete opposite. Maybe now my feet will get better again since I don't have to walk on rocky dirt roads any more. And it's really humid, as in my towel never dries and when I sleep I feel like I'm in a sauna. Maybe my dry sunburned skin will improve too. I am looking forward to eating good food today. But I don't want to gain weight right before I get back. My companion said she has gained 8 kilos since she started the mission (3 months).

For the first time I got sent to an area that is doing well. We have three baptisms planned for this week, and a lot of people progressing. We are in charge of two wards and a branch: Santa Anita, which is one of the oldest in Lima I think, Bolognesi, and 27 de Abril. Sunday we did divisions. I gave a talk in Sta Anita and my companion went to Bolognesi, so I have yet to go to one of the wards. I gave a talk and played the piano, and after, an old man came up to me and said that I was prepared to go to the celestial kingdom because I am a missionary, I gave a good talk, and I play the piano. Do you think playing the piano qualifies someone to go to the celestial kingdom? Or giving a talk? The pensionista is fine. She doesn't talk much. She doesn't cook that great either, but it's eatable. I got a little nervous when I went in for breakfast the first morning and they had classical music playing, but it's fine.

My companion is Hna Cayetano. I was relieved to find out that she is normal. She is from Trujillo Peru, where the temple is being built. She got baptized with her mom when she was 12(my companion, not her mom). Her dad still isn't a member. I'm kind of glad to have a Latina companion so I can brush up on my Spanish before I go home. But don't worry, the mission president said (to my companion) that I have very good Spanish. But there are some Peruvian living customs that I still am not very used to, or don't like, but we get along well.

Basically I'm just trying to get to know the people and the area. It is huge though, so I don't know how well I'll do. It would have been easier to just stay in my old area and end there, but the Lord moves in a mysterious way. Mom, do you remember when you told me that's how my mind works, in a mysterious way?

Oh, you'll like this. Across the street from our room there is a big colegio (I don't know what it's called, but it's Catholic). My comp told me that there have been three cases of swine flu detected there. Our balcony looks out over the colegio. They raise llamas, 4 of them. Maybe its like a science project, or maybe a national symbol, but I like to look at them when I am studying.

That's about it. I love you. Thanks for you love and support
Sarah

PS I missed getting a letter from Jan this week.

No comments: