Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why I will get swine flu

I have spent considerable time thinking about this. My conclusion is that I am very likely to get swine flu because of the following:

1. I am in the target group (19-24 year olds), which means that I live and go to school in close proximity, and I am part of a very mobile population

2. I have little immunity. I vaguely remember being sick over Christmas one year as a kid, but I don't remember if it was flu.

3. I frequently touch my mouth and eyes.

4. I don't wash my hands enough.

5. I have a pre-existing condition. I have what my roommates affectionately call "black lung," an undiagnosed third world respiratory disease. It is definitely not TB though.

In my bioethics class, we just happen to be talking about government funding allocation, using the examples of pandemic flu and AIDS. From that I learned that worst case projections are that for my age group 33% will be infected. So, I hope you are waiting for that phone call Mom. It will be kind of like the phone call home when I broke my leg...

2 comments:

Emily said...

Have you ever heard of a thing called vaccination?

Everyone's doing it...

Margaret said...

Yes, I seem to recall urging you and Janet to get the shot when it's available. Also, you can change some of those back habits like washing your hands and touching you eyes, etc.