Thursday, July 8, 2010

Recent purchases

We are working on furnishing an apartment.  It is quite an expensive endeavor, but also kind of fun.  Our big purchase so far was this:


Yes, that is an induction flashlight, and getting it was the highlight of my day.  I learned about this in physics last semester, and I wondered why people didn't use electromagnetic induction to produce electricity.  I was very exciting to see my education applied to real life.  How does it work? That copper thing is a coil of wire, through which a magnet moves, creating an electrical current.  So, to charge this flashlight, you just shake it, and voila,  there is light.  

With the purchase of a $600 flashlight, RC Willey kindly threw in these:


I'm excited to be able to look in our new Whirlpool Estate Super Capacity Washer and Dryer with the induction flashlight to find missing socks.


4 comments:

Joe said...

Tracy's phone can actually charge via induction. We didn't bring that part with us, though so she's stuck with plugging wires into her phone until she gets home. Hmm. I ought to buy a second one of those charging kits, tear my phone apart, and wire it to work, too.

Margaret said...

Well, you're ahead of where we were. We didn't get a washer until Emily was about a year old and a dryer about 6 months after that. Maybe Janet will come over and help you put them to good use :).

Emily said...

Oooh, we need a washer and dryer. Does RC Willey ship to MN?

Ryan and Bryanne said...

Sarah I am SO jealous! A wish I had a washer and dryer! I've been married for 5 year and we still have to go to the laundry mat (2 kids too!). Congrats on the engagement and wedding...really soon.