We've been having soup more often since it has been pretty chilly in Utah lately. I have also been on a potato kick recently since they are cheap and filling. Two pound blocks of cheddar cheese were on sale for $4 a couple weeks ago. As a result of all those factors, we had this delicious soup for dinner on Sunday. Not only was it extremely tasty, but it was quite pretty as well. It is very rich and filling, and I could only eat a small bowl and a piece of bread, but Brian was able to finish two big bowls. I modified the recipe, so this is my version. The original recipe includes celery and normal salt. I omitted the celery and used celery salt to get a little celery flavor. It ended being celery-y enough for my tastes. It also calls for swiss cheese and vegetable broth, but cheddar and chicken are what we had, and the results were delicious.
Potato Cheese Soup
4 potatoes, peeled and quartered,
1 small carrots, finely chopped
1 medium onion, minced
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 t celery salt
2 1/2 c milk
3 T butter, melted
3 T flour
1 T dried parsley
1/2 t ground pepper
1+ c shredded cheese
In large pan, bring potatoes, carrots, onion, broth, and celery salt to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are just tender. Mash mixture slightly. Stir in milk. In small bowl, blend butter, flour parsley, and pepper; stir into potato mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat; add cheese and stir until cheese is almost melted. Let soup stand for 5 minutes. Serves 6.
5 comments:
Sounds yummy. We will have to try it.
Do you guys have Martinelli's with every meal or was it special occasion?
Oh, we have it with every meal.
I am so making this! Thanks for sharing! :)
(Ps. We're excited to see you guys next week. WOO-HOO!)
I doubt that it serves six. I finished most of it at dinner time when Emily made it.
Post a Comment