Thursday, October 31, 2013

Why I Will Not Attend Another Trunk-or-Treat


Opinions. Oh, do I have them. And I will now unleash my opinions on the evils of trunk or treat. (I recant my bad opinions of Walmart kids' clothing though. We've gotten some good inexpensive things from Walmart)

This year we took Camille to the ward carnival and trunk or treat. It's the first trunk or treat I've really participated in. Since Camille was getting candy, we of course felt obliged to pass out candy. Camille is one. I took her to about ten cars before she was more interested in running away and adoring her stash of candy than getting more. All the adults were of course nice and put a piece of candy in her little basket even though I can't get her to say trick or treat, candy, thank you, or any other appropriate word. So, this has nothing really to do with Camille.

At the beginning of the month I bought two huge bags of candy. It was over 200 pieces and cost I think $20. We ate a bunch, but less than half. Even so, I got another big bag of candy ($10) to replace what had been eaten. All that candy, over $20 worth and over 200 pieces was gone in 10 minutes at trunk or treat. It was like a race to see how much candy the kids could get in as little time as possible. Kids went through multiple times, older kids realized they could just find something to collect candy in and joined in, costume or not. Since it is "safer" to do trunk or treat, parents didn't supervise, so a few kids were rude about what candy they got. Argh.

I was planning on using that candy for both trunk or treat and normal trick or treat. We get quite a lot of trick or treaters on Halloween. The options are now turn off our light and not give out candy tonight, which is a snub to all non LDS kids, or buy a bunch more candy. I spend $40 a week on groceries, and I do not want to spend that much on Halloween candy.

I say, get rid of trunk or treat. What is the point of it anyway? It's not that much safer. No neighbor is going to put razor blades in your kids' candy. If you are worried about traffic, go with your kids and make sure they are safe. I know our ward trunk or treat is for the whole neighborhood, but realistically, only members attend. Wouldn't it be better to trick or treat in the neighborhood and actually get to know your neighbors? Let's have a fall social or a harvest festival or a chili cook-off. It can even involve candy! Just please, no more trunk or treat. We will not be participating.


9 comments:

Margaret said...

This post would be so much better with a picture of Camille in her costume.

Margaret said...

Thank you! I love it. She is adorable.

Emily said...

There is no reason wards should be doing trunk or treat unless it's inner city Chicago. Why should the church encourage parents to spend more money (possibly out of their budget)on candy and encourage kids to act like ungrateful snots to get candy they absolutely do not need. It's fun for them to see their church friends in costume (although probably not necessary for you since you all live in the same neighborhood), but a costume parade and some games should be good enough. I also don't like giving prizes for costumes.

Our ward did a "fall party" and gave the kids little bags of candy at the end, which I thought was fine, although the activity as a whole was lame.

You should have Brian bring it up in ward council. Suggest they give the money they save on candy on a bigger fast offering. I bet that would go over well.

Joanna said...

I agree. I've never been a fan of trunk or treating and couldn't believe when someone said they prefer trunk or treating over going door to door.

Whitney said...

Rock on Sarah! You are saying what we are all thinking. We get hardly any trick or treaters at the house. I blame stinking trunk or treat! And yeah kids are a lot worse at trunk or treat than on Halloween night. Your post made me angry hahahaha.

Casey Wood said...

I agree too! Once again, I asked Todd if we should eat and THEN go to the trunk or treat. It was so crazy crowded you couldn't even move your chair out from under the table during the "dinner" I didn't even eat. Then I went around with the kids to the "games" and stood in each line for like 10 minutes, with one older kid cutting in front. It is not a fun party...way to chaotic/crowded and I don't need my kids with any extra candy :).

Tracy said...

I know I may be disowned, but I actually don't mind the trunk or treat idea. My kids love it, they are nice, and only go to each vehicle once. Although Afton went to our van 2 or 3 times. :) That being said, the emphasis isn't on the trunk or treating part, its on the chili cook off and fun games for the kids. The trunk or treat is just a bonus and its fun to see how some people decorate their trunks. And I like seeing all the kids dressed up in their costumes. But I can see how it could be annoying.

Margaret said...

We would never disown you, Trace! I have been to your trunk or treat and it was very well organized and fun. Perhaps if they were all better organized, it would help.

Tracy said...

Thanks Margaret! It also probably helps that we have tons of younger kids in our ward, which makes it a little more enjoyable.