Spinach Lentil Ragout Over Pasta
1/4 t cinnamon
1/2 cup dried brown or green lentils
8 oz ziti, penne, or similar pasta
1 T olive oil
1/4 c diced onion
1 medium-size carrot, peeled and diced
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth (or water with bouillon)
1/2 t Italian seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp cayenne
4 cups spinach, washed thoroughly, stems removed and finely chopped, or 1/2 bag frozen spinach
4 cups spinach, washed thoroughly, stems removed and finely chopped, or 1/2 bag frozen spinach
Ground black pepper
Salt
Mozzarella cheese
Cook lentils in water, at least a cup, with cinnamon 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain if needed. Meanwhile, saute onion and carrot (you could add celery, but I sure didn't) in oil until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add chicken stock to deglaze pan. Add seasonings and tomatoes. Let simmer to reduce. Meanwhile, cook pasta in another pan. Add spinach to the vegetable mixture and cook until wilted. Stir in lentils and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta, or mix in the pasta. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Too bad I didn't take a picture because it was a very pretty dish, but this post is more of a way for me to document the recipe so I know where it is and what changes I made. Brian really liked it and said his family would like it. I'm not sure why; something about it being like baked ziti. I liked it too, but it gave me terrible heartburn, so that dampened my enthusiasm. After baby brother is born, I will definitely make it again. The one downside is that it uses three (3) pans, and that is a lot. Here is my advice: only make this meal when your husband is going to do the dishes that night.
5 comments:
Mmmm, it was very delicious!
Isn't every night the night your husband does the dishes?
No. He does most days, but when I am sick of Camille I make him take care of her while I do dishes. I also usually have them done when he comes home later than 6:30.
1. You don't like celery either? I didn't even know. If you weren't already at the top of the favorite sister standings, you sure would be now.
2. Preston comes home after 6:30 every night. Usually 6:31 or 6:32 , but sometimes much later. And usually at least two nights a week, he scarfs down some dinner and leaves again. When we are both home and one of us asks the other if s/he'd rather clean up or bathe the kids, we both always choose clean up. Ha ha.
3. This recipe is right up my alley and fits in nicely with my (lazy) attempt to eat a more alkaline diet. I would have to use spelt or quinoa pasta, though, or basmati or wild rice.
I love cooking with lentils! I am going to make this.
Post a Comment