Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Little Girl Is Growing Up...

but she is still pretty little, tipping the scales at an estimated 22 pounds.

I've always tried not to baby Camille too much, but it's gotten serious lately as we've tried to get her ready for baby brother's arrival. I read something about how you should get your child off all baby things before the new baby comes so that the older child doesn't resent the baby for "taking" the crib, bottle, etc. I felt validated in that moment, although I'm sure Camille will still be quite resentful about what the baby is taking--Mommy! Attention! Attention from Mommy!

Step one: Wean from bottle. This was easy, and it happened last summer. It's also the only thing I've ever had my doctor ask about getting rid of, so I'm glad we did it when we did. I'd like to get her off sippy cups, but after cleaning up too many liquids from the floor the past couple of weeks, I think the sippy cups will hang around a little longer.

Step two: Wean from pacifier. This was a big one for Camille. She loved her paci, and even now, seems to have a strong liking for sucking things. We started by only letting her have the pacifier to sleep. She slept so well that I was reluctant to ruin that, but after she left her paci at church one day, we took the plunge. We hid the extra pacifier and told her that since she lost the pacifier at church she had to sleep without it. The first night she was really tired, so she didn't cry very long before she zonked out. The next nights and naps were rough, but after a week or so, she never looked back. She still doesn't sleep as well as she used to though.

Step three: Move to big girl bed (and room): I thought Camille would have trouble transitioning, but once she got her new bed and we told her this was her new room, that was it. She loves her bed. I love it too. Many thanks to Brian who yet again built something awesome. Hooray for Brian!

Brian used these plans from Ana White
We bought a mattress online that came vacuum packed like this.
Ah, the bed with the quilt
The gutter bookshelves have been a huge hit. Another project done by Brian! They were also supposed to help contain her books, but it looks like a significant portion aren't in the picture... 
Step four: Potty train. I had toyed with the idea of potty training, but I decided to wait because it would be easier to have Camille in diapers with a needy newborn around, plus I wouldn't have to worry about potty regression. But, Camille is a strong willed girl. She was throwing huge tantrums about wearing diapers, to the point where it took two of us to change her: one to pin her down, and the other to diaper her. This wasn't feasible since Brian is only home for an hour or two when Camille is awake. After getting kicked in the belly and face too many times while trying to change her, I decided we had to potty train her. And we (I mostly) did. The first week was pretty bad, but she is daytime potty trained now. She still is strong willed. Two days ago she blatantly peed on the floor because she didn't like that I asked her to go sit on the potty when I knew she had to go. But we are to the point now where when we are out, she will tell us when she has to pee and can hold it till we get to a potty. Three cheers for Camille! 78 more cheers for Camille! Now we'll see what happens when baby brother comes.

Apparently this counts as sitting on the potty?

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Hahaha...this made me laugh!

Margaret said...

And goid job again, Brian!

Janet said...

Hahaha
hahaha

Shannon said...

The bed and 'bookshelf' are awesome! Love the last pic too. :)