Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Best Budget Meals

I've tried really hard through the years to keep my food budget reasonably low. I need to recommit to that since our food spending has been creeping up. In college, I tried to spend about $20 each week on groceries so my monthly grocery bill was around $80. That meant I ate cold or hot cereal for breakfast, a peanut 4*butter sandwich and an apple for lunch, and for dinner, something simple like pasta, sometimes sauteed chicken and a vegetable, or a quesadilla. Add in ice cream, making something a little nicer, or pitching in food for a roommate meal, and that rounded out my food budget.

After I got married, I was proud of the fact that our food spending was equal to how much Brian spent just for himself before we got married.

Now days, I still try and spend as little as possible on food while still eating plenty and reasonably healthy. I try to buy more fruits and vegetables. Even when we have better meals, I keep it less expensive by using less meat, substituting or omitting expensive ingredients, and buying things when they are on sale/in season. But sometimes we just need an inexpensive meal to stay under budget. So, I present some of my best cheap meals. Seriously, these are low-budget, sometimes low-quality meals meant to fill tummies and keep dollars in your pocket. I'm not talking about $5 meals. I'm talking about $2 and under meals.

Lentil Rice Casserole
Baked potatoes
Spaghetti with marinara sauce
Black beans and rice
Pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese
Peruvian-style fried rice (Arroz Chaufa)- fried rice with a few peas, a scrambled egg, and a cut-up hot dog (yes, it's kind of gross, but you get used to it)
Pancakes
Grilled cheese sandwich
Bean and cheese burrito
Sauteed broccoli and chick peas or Swiss chard and chick peas (homegrown veggies=cheap)
Potato soup
Hot dogs

And now a note from Camille

yytyytytytyttyyytyytytyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyytyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyAAAAAASDC JK']

And a picture of Owey



What are your favorite budget meals?

5 comments:

Whitney said...

you listed hot dogs twice... I don't blame you though, they last forever. We are still eating hot dogs left over from Ted's birthday party :)

Joanna said...

No meal in our house is as cheap as I'd like, but you listed lots of the ones we do. We also like taco soup and 3 bean enchiladas both of which would be even cheaper if we cooked our own beans.

Preston said...

Eggs and noodles, spicy pintos, if you have garden veggies, a stir fry with one chicken breast, or none (or use frozen veg). Egg stuffed zucchini, veggie pasta stir fry in late summer. (Emily here).

Janet said...

I have just gone into a cheap food idea slump, so thank you! I don't think I will ever eat nasty peruvian hot dogs, eggs, and rice, but I remember I like bean and cheese enchiladas and grilled cheese (with avocado to fill us up). Here's a hint I learned yesterday--Quinoa is NOT cheap. I need to go to the Amish store to get some cheap.

Janet said...

Oh, tonight we are having english muffin pizzas. I make the english muffins and don't buy pepperoni. Super cheap.