There was a little incident while Brian was gone. Camille, Owen, and I went over to the neighbor's house to play. I locked the door behind me knowing that I could get in through the garage when we got back. When we came back from the play date, ready for lunch and naps, I got into the garage just fine only to realize that I hadn't unlocked the door from the garage to the house. I hadn't taken my keys, and all the doors and windows were locked. Oops. I called Brian and we mulled over our options: try to pick the lock, break a door or window, live in the car/garage until Brian got home two or three days later, go stay at someone else's house until Brian got home, or call a locksmith. Living in the garage and staying at someone else's house were desperate attempts to wait it out without spending money, but not really viable solutions, especially since I didn't have car keys or my wallet to go anywhere.
After trying and retrying all the doors and windows, I spent about 45 minutes trying to do the credit card trick (except I had to make do with whatever objects I found in the garage) to pick the lock. I was not successful. I fed Camille and Owen all the tic-tacs in the car to keep them happy, but they were starting to melt. I gave in and had Brian call a locksmith. We ate a frozen loaf of bread I got out of the chest freezer while we waited for him. He opened the door in about two minutes. He gave me a discount because he got it open so fast.
After eating and getting Owen down for a late nap and Camille down for quiet time, I breathed a sigh of relief. I walked out to get the mail. On the way I checked the lock I had been trying to open with a credit card to see why I couldn't get it. I retrieved the mail, and tried to come back inside only to realize that I had accidentally locked the door when I was looking at it on the way out. Now I was locked out while Camille and Owen were locked in, and I didn't have anything with me, not even a phone. Luckily, Camille wasn't asleep, so I rapped at her window and she came running to the back door. She was able to unlock the door for me. Phew.
5 comments:
I don't know if the label NMS Syndrome is accurate. I'm pretty sure every time we've had to call a locksmith, it's been Preston's fault. I would certainly never do something like that.
I'm glad Camille is smart enough to unlock the door and let you in.
Remember how I used to do that all the time when I would go running? And I would lock myself out of the Saturn, too. I just locked Brooke and I out of the house actually, but we just walked to the office and they unlocked it for us. It must have been bad if you guys were gnawing on frozen bread.
I guess the first time wasn't so much NMS Syndrome, but the second time was. If you lock yourself out of the house one day, you ought to be sensible enough to make sure it doesn't happen again.
You guys ever hear of hiding a key like everyone else?
Russell locked me out one day. Luckily, he realized I wasn't happy and unlocked it right away.
Post a Comment