We don't dumpster drive, ask strangers for their leftovers at restaurants, or wear our clothes in the shower so we can wash our bodies and the clothes. But I do some extreme cheapskate things.
We had a large shoe box overflowing with hotel shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and other sundries. Brian has brought every single hotel item home with him for the last five years I think.
![]() |
| This was after I tried to use them all. |
I emptied all the shampoos into an empty shampoo bottle, and the conditioners into an empty bottle, and we got a full bottle worth each of shampoo and conditioner.
I melted down all the soaps, added some coconut oil, and made new soaps. I don't know how much money this actually saved us, but we have a year supply of coconut oil soaps instead of a year supply of hotel soap.
![]() |
| It made a lot, like 25 bars. |
I'm still not sure what to do with the lotions. The kids and I can't use the hotel lotions because we need something stronger (Aquaphor or similar).




3 comments:
Yes! I have been waiting for this post.
Have you noticed healthier hair from not repeating shampoos? And how's the smell?
I' bummed we couldn't try your coconut soap.
The smell of the shampoo was one of a kind. The two minty shampoos infused all the others.
Post a Comment