Friday, April 20, 2018

Birds!

I'm happy to report that I can identify many of the common birds around here. It's harder than expected since males and females sometimes look different, breeding and non-breeding males sometimes look different, juveniles look different.

American goldfinch on the left, pine siskin on the right
European starling



Dark-eyed junco

Another goldfinch

Downy Woodpecker (I think? There's an almost identical woodpecker and this was a bad picture)

Killdeer

White-breasted nutchatch

4 comments:

Janet said...

We've seen the Pileated Woodpecker here (well, Jacob and the girls). I thought that was cool because they're so big. Other than that I'm pretty bad at identifying birds.

Emily said...

Impressive

Joanna said...

We have a lot of common grackles and robins around our house lately. I did see a male and female cardinal and some sort of wood pecker, but I haven't been able to look up what type.

Sarah said...

Jo, look at the beaks of the grackles. If they are yellow, they are not grackles, but European starlings. They are everywhere, and invasive species.