Dear Family,
Thaks for writing to me early! Tell Casie that I am excited for her. I hope that still is going well. It's a really good sign that she is reading the Book of Mormon. In Provo, Sheri Dew spoke once, and she showed a picture of one of those signs in front of churches where they change the messages, and it said ´Don´t read the Book of Mormon, That's how they get you.' Thank you to that church for testifying of the power of the Book of Mormon.
I had a great week. Friday night the other sister that was supposed to come to Peru with us came. She had to stay in Provo because she had some sort of tumor on her leg, but they took care of it. I am so thankful that I am healthy, and I am thankful for the Lord's hand in my healing. We are in a trio now, and it is hard. I think tomorrow when the new people come, she will be companions with the one new North American sister.
Saturday was good. We had companionship exchanges so we could have Latina companions. Mine was Hermana Castro, a really sweet sister from Buenos Aires. We got up early and drove to our place. My group went to Miraflores, Santa Cruz, which is a really wealthy touristy spot in South Lima. The other group went to Ventanilla, which was totally the opposite. Anyway, I loved the area. It was on the beach, so I finally got to to see the ocean here. There were high cliffs down to the beach, and then the sea. Apparently it is always cloudy there. We went with members to visit the menos activos, but we really didn't have much success. We couldn't find the address of three of them, one died five years ago, two wouldn't let us in to talk, and such. After lunch we were discouraged, but we finished looking for our members, then did street contacts. That was hard, but good practice. Before we left one of the members with us asked if we would like to visit her tio and tia who lived in the area who weren't members. We decided to and it was great. We taught a lesson about the Book of Mormon, and a little about baptism and the importance of it. We read 3 Nephi 11 with her, and she accepted an appointment to have the missionaries come back. The member referral kept shaking her head, because she didn't think we would be able to do it, but we did it. I am so grateful to my companion for her help with the language, and she did the greater part of the teaching. The investigator spoke English, but I taught in Spanish because it is her native lanugage. The gift of tongues is real. I still wasn't able to say everything I wanted, but my mind was clear, and I could speak and understand so much better. That one lesson made up for the morning of disappointments.
Love you lots, Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment