Monday, December 1, 2008

Dear Family,

Guess what? I got a whole slew of letters and packages, to the envy of the entire zone. I haven't opened anything yet because we are going to go to Lima and I don't want to lose anything, but they put it all in a nice bag for me. So thanks a bunch. Maybe I'll save something to be opened Christmas day. Or maybe I'll just open it all now and for Christmas wrap it up again.

It sounds like there's not much news from home, but it's okay because I don't have much to say either. This week we had three baptisms. We could have had four, but one fell through. Two were the kids in the familia Alfaro. We really wanted to baptize the whole family, but the parents are having a hard time giving up drinking so we decided we shouldn't wait to baptize the kids because we don't know when the parents will be ready. Oh, but this is funny-the mom was thinking about the baptisims, and she said "I know there aren't godfathers and godmothers like in the Catholic church, but I was thinking their grandpa could be their godfather and you two could be the godmothers." So I now have a godchild-Diego Alfaro. But I'm not sure what a godparent does. I think they buy presents and give money. The other baptism was Roger. All his kids and his wife are members, but he refused until recently. He has cancer, bone cancer I think, and he spends his time in bed repenting. His son (with the help of another guy) baptized him, and I've never seen a family so happy about a baptism. They've waited a long time for him to come around. Did I tell you about Gregorio? He was the street contact that always is waiting for us. He is conviviente, and this week we taught him chastity and word of wisdom. He accepted both and he is going to get married por the mission in December. He hasn't gone to church yet, because his work won't give him permission, but he told us that he was thinking about looking for a new job so he could go. And we haven't even taught Dia de Reposo. I've never taught someone so prepared.

For Thanksgiving what did I do? Nothing. We had our bapitsimal interviews. We were going to get pizza, but I wasn't feeling good. The day before we ate cau-cau, which is chicken intestines. It was gross, and I think that is what made me sick. I only ate a little bit because the pensionista gave me fried chicken in case I didn't like it. So Thanksgiving was just another work day. We are going to eat pie one day, but we haven't passed the place that sells it in a while.

I have a research task for you Mom. What can I do so that my hair stops falling out? It's really thin, and I got it cut this past week, so now I hardly have anything up there. I think it's just from stress. I'm repenting for all the times I complained about having thick hair.

I played for the primary program in one of the wards. I think they just chose whatever songs to sing, so it was easy because they chose I am a child of God, Called to Serve, I love to see the temple, and we thank thee oh God for a prophet. The whole thing lasted 15 minutes ,and the bishop made the primary president ( his wife) fill the extra time with her testimony.

That's about it. This letter is nice and long, and Mom you were worried that I wouldn't write anything home.

Love,
Sarah

No comments: