Monday, August 16, 2010

Bakin'

Unlike Mom and Dad, we have an oven that works.  After we got married, I decided that I would make our bread so we could save a little grocery money and have tastier, healthier bread.  This is the result of the second round of bread baking.


And this is the recipe I use.  I customized it from the Scoresby family cookbook.

Whole Wheat Bread

5 c warm water
1/2 c honey
2 T yeast
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 c oil
2 T salt
5 c white flour
11-12 c wheat flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water and honey until yeast bubbles and rises to top.  Mix in eggs, oil, and salt, Add 5 c white flour and let rest until bubbles rise to surface.  Mix in wheat flour, first with spoon, then with hand.  When dough separates from side of bowl, turn out unto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.  Let rise and punch down 3 times.  Form into 3 large loaves or 4 regular.  Let rise.   Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Question: You have 3 or 4 loaf pans?

Next question: How much money do you think it actually saves?

Sarah said...

It's cheaper than the expensive kinds of wheat bread. I don't know how much cheaper it is than the $.99 kind. And yes, I have 3 loaf pans.

Margaret said...

Looks good, Sas! What a Susie Homemaker you are. And good job on using Dad's honey.

Margaret said...

By the way, even if you didn't have three loaf pans, you could make a round loaf, or whatever.

Janet said...

Whether it's cheaper/healthier or not does not matter to me. It was delicious and homemade, so I'll gladly take it.