Thursday, August 19, 2010

Textbooks

Some of you may have put these days behind, but for some of us, it's time to go back to school.  One of the most dreadful parts of that is buying books.  Many times I have stood in line at the BYU bookstore after milling through a jillion people, aisles of books, and the expensive pallet-zone, and then spent a couple hundred dollars.  A few times I have purchased my books online, but it's kind of risky because you can't return the book if you drop the class or the professor says you don't really need the book after all (what happened last semester.)  To celebrate my last semester at BYU, I am joining the trend and renting my books. This is why:

Principles of Biochemistry
From the BYU Bookstore NEW: $170.00
USED: $127.50
From Amazon NEW: $99.44
USED: $92.99

The thought of paying up to $170.00 for a book made me throw up a little in my mouth, until I saw this:

 From campusbookrentals.com: $53.14

I looked into it and decided to do it.  You pay to rent the book for a number of days, 1 semester=130 days.  They send it to you with a prepaid envelope to send it back when you're done.  If you need it longer, you can pay a little more, or if you decide to keep it, you can pay the difference of the used price they set.  You can return it for a full refund in the first 30 days.

If you sell back the book to the bookstore, you get 60% of the used value of the book, which would make the money to spent on the book around $50.  I figured it's worth it to rent seeing that the bookstore only took back one of the books I bought from them last semester.  I got a return of $18 from the $250 I spent.  

Now I'm going the less risky way.  If you want to rent your books too, let me know because I can refer you for a discount.


No comments: