Until I was probably in middle school, I remember Dad
cooking breakfast most days while Mom was at Seminary. When Mom and whatever kids were in Seminary
got back, it was time to wake up and eat breakfast. Back then, our scripture
reading was done before breakfast. We would all sit around the table with our
scriptures and read the chapter, and then breakfast was served. Many breakfasts
were hot cereal. I think Dad made it a point to make hot cereal two or three
times a week, but to me it seemed like it was every day. The cereals ranged
from oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, and rice, to things I considered disgusting like
bear mush, 7 grain, and cracked wheat. Even today I don’t know what bear mush
really is, but it came from the Amish store like the other grosser cereals. The oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, and rice were usually
made bearable by adding butter, sugar, cinnamon and milk,
but there was no way to redeem the others. I had to eat whatever was served
because I remembered the consequences of not eating. Once after breakfast Dad
pulled out a stash of candy bars, and if you had eaten all your cereal, you got
one. If you hadn’t eaten it, there was no chance to go back and finish. I was
in misery because I did not eat my breakfast and could not have a candy bar.
Any whining or crying was met with an unfeeling response to eat all my
breakfast next time. Another time Dad
made a note of who had eaten breakfast, and in the evening, only those people
got ice cream. The injustice! How was I supposed to know when it
was safe to push away the gross food and when it had to be endured to get the
sweet reward? I learned to eat whatever it was, just in case. Breakfasts on
other days were usually very good. We had things like pancakes, German
pancakes, French toast, eggs made in every way—foods that would probably be considered by
others to be elaborate breakfasts for a weekday, but to me, it was just a breakfast that wasn't oatmeal. Sometimes holidays were celebrated with special breakfasts, like
green pancakes for St. Patrick’s Day and huevos rancheros for Cinco de Mayo.
Sundays were special because we got to have cold cereal, a special treat at our
house. Now, I have cold cereal almost every day for breakfast. And sometimes I want to eat oatmeal or Cream of Wheat.
What would Dad think if he knew?
3 comments:
I remember one time that someone who was taking one of you to school said you guys were probably the only kids in town who had omelets for breakfast on a school day.
Funny, I don't remember either of those incidents. I must have eaten all my breakfast, ha ha.
Bear mush was basically the same as Cream of wheat. It just got bad reviews because it came from the Amish store. And I only remember having huevos rancheros twice ever.
Post a Comment