Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Why Chemicals Aren't Bad

Chemicals get a bad reputation. It is a scientifically proven fact that you are, in fact, made of chemicals. Take a look at the following picture, courtesy of Everyday Scientist:

If you saw a label full of those hard-to-pronounce chemicals, would you steer away from that food? The only thing that is chemical-free is a vacuum. I know that when most people use the term chemical, they mean synthetic chemicals. Well, synthetic chemicals can be bad, and they can be good. Natural chemicals can be bad, and they can be good. In 2001, researchers from California who studied natural and synthetic chemicals in the human diet wrote, “Among the agents identified as human carcinogens by the International Agency for Research in Cancer 62% occur naturally: 16 are natural chemicals, 11 are mixtures of natural chemicals, and 10 are infectious agents. Thus, the idea that a chemical is “safe” because it is natural, is not correct” (source, emphasis added). 

Chemicals benefit you more than you probably realize. When you got up, you dragged yourself out of your high density polyurethane foam bed, took a shower in water made clean using chlorine and ammonium sulfate, soaped yourself with soap containing surfactants and fragrance, used shampoo, shaved, used a blow dryer, brushed your teeth, all with the aid of over 200 chemicals (source).

Just in terms of food, the positive difference that chemicals make is enormous. "Without these important crop protection and pest control technologies, U.S. food production would decline, many fruits and vegetables would be in short supply, and the price of food would rise. What’s more, America’s production of important fibers for clothing, such as cotton, would decrease as farmers would lose their harvests and livelihoods to crop pests and diseases" (source).

Next time you buy all-natural, organic food, think of what that really means. The legal definition of organic is hazy. Just because something says organic doesn't mean it contains no pesticides. And natural or all natural has no legal definition--none.  Are there really any benefits to buying organic, or are they just perceived?  This quote is from Wikipedia, and is backed up by nine sources: "Evidence on substantial differences between organic food and conventional food is insufficient to make claims that organic food is safer or healthier than conventional food.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9] With respect to taste, the evidence is also insufficient to make scientific claims that organic food tastes better.[5][3]"

So, what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't get caught up in the natural, chemical free, organic bandwagon just because it sounds healthy and good. Farmers that use pesticides do so because it helps them produce better crops. I don't recommend drinking the pesticide, but used correctly, it is beneficial. Our bodies usually can handle small amounts of toxins pretty well anyway. But if you eat enough lima beans, the chemicals in there can kill you. We just want the benefits of the chemicals we use to outweigh the risks, and there are companies and agencies that test that.

If you google all natural or chemical free, you'll be sure to find tons of people using hokey science, unfounded claims, and scare-tactics to promote their agendas. If you really want to understand more, take a chemistry or biochemistry class. And if you do buy something organic, I won't judge you.

If you read this far, congratulations. I could go on and on about things like this--SLS, parabens, GMOs, vaccines, but I'll probably go back to posts full of pictures of Camille now.

9 comments:

The Garden Doc said...

Well written!
J. Rene Scoresby PhD

Margaret said...


Ooooh...a comment from Dad!

Joanna said...

I guess being one of Dad's children I've never really been worried about chemicals.

Janet said...

Wow. I need a post like that to make Dad comment. Too bad it's bor-ing.

But on the topic. I agree. And as I read parts out loud Jacob agreed.

Random: one of the words to prove I'm not a robot is corn.

Jenae said...

Mid reading your blog, I made a new resolve, and put down the cup of pesticides I was holding ready to drink. Then I went to the grocery store and dumped them all over the organic produce. Then I crossed out 'find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop' and replaced it with 'how many lima beans it takes to die.' A+ for your report.

Lizzy said...

This made me weirdly sentimental. Remember how I would talk about how much I love Rachel Carson? I miss my Sarah science lessons. You would share your knowledge of chemicals, diseases, and stuff.

Emily said...

Did Dad pay you to write this post? I would love to talk about GMOs with you. And artificial colors. And paleo diets. I wish I could afford to buy organic milk and free range eggs and grass fed beef.

Sarah said...

Actually, I don't have a beef (haha) with free range eggs or grass fed beef. They are expensive, though. I don't care what organic food you choose to consume, but don't drink raw milk. And don't do the paleo diet. Any diet that excludes entire food groups is bad.

Emily said...

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. Don't worry, I'm not going Paleo. Not only is it pretty contrary to the Word of Wisdom (you know, wheat for man), it's expensive. I do try (not very hard) to avoid artificial colors, nitrates, and hydrogenated oils. For the most part, I think if you make your food yourself you will be in pretty good shape.