Thursday, February 27, 2014

Camille's Quilt

So, there are certain things in life that are really hard in some way, but rewarding. After you finish, you decide that you're mostly glad you did it, but you vow to not do it again. It's not that you regret it or think it was a waste of time, but once was enough, like running a marathon or serving a mission in your youth. But, a few years pass, and you forget the hard parts of what you did and remember the good parts. Your vow to not do it again goes down the drain. This is why people have more than one child. This is also why I decided to make a quilt. Again.

I don't know what possessed me, but over the summer I planned on making a quilt for our bed. I ordered some hexagon precuts and gradually worked on cutting a bunch of little pieces to go in between the hexagons. After several months of hiatus I got excited to work on it again on my new sewing machine. I started piecing only to find out that the 200 triangles I had cut were all too small. I wasn't going to cut 200 bigger triangles, so out went the plans for the original quilt, and I designed a new quilt for Camille's big girl bed. I'm glad it's for Camille because the precuts are kind of kiddy colors, so it will look better in her room. I was racing to get it done before Camille moved into her new bed. I am 5 days late, which isn't too bad.

Please validate me on this quilt because it cost me a lot of sweat and tears. It was my first attempt at free motion quilting. Let me give any quilters out there advice: Don't make your first attempt at free motion quilting on a twin sized or bigger quilt, and don't use minky in the quilt. If I were cool, I would hang it on a fence and take pictures using our DSLR camera, but I'm not cool, so you'll have to look at poorly lit pictures taken with our point and shoot camera.


The aqua/cherries and red borders are minky, just for a little girl who has a penchant for soft things.


If you couldn't tell, it's a window pane design. 


The quilting is a large scale stippling design, but don't try and look closely at that.

Once Camille's room is put together, I'll post some pictures of her new room and the quilt on her awesome new bed that Brian built.

8 comments:

vicky wood said...

You are truly amazing Sarah. I love it. I don't know where you find the time to do all that you do. Camille will love it too.

Margaret said...

It turned out really well. I'm sure Camille loves it.

Whitney said...

I will validate you too. This is amazing! (and I am not just saying that because you sound like you are about to kill this quilt hahaha) I am so impressed with anyone who takes on the task of sewing a quilt and yours looks fantastic! way to stick it out.

Joanna said...

That's how I felt about my little bubble baby quilt. Camille's looks cute!

Sarah said...

Yay! Thanks for the validation.

Joanna said...

PS Can your sewing machine quilt?

Sarah said...

What qualifies a machine as a quilting machine? I can drop the feed dogs and it came with a free motion/darning foot. It also has "quilting stitches," but it's not like a long arm quilting machine.

Shannon said...

Wow. I was the laziest pregnant person ever.

The quilt is beautiful!! You are so talented, Sarah! Great job!