Monday, February 24, 2014

Olympic Fare Russian Edition

I wanted to make a tradition out of making food from the country where the Olympics are being held. So, I researched some Russian foods and went at it. Yet again, I didn't do as many foods as I wanted, but here are the ones I made.

To start, Olympic Ring Mini-Pizzas


I really wanted to do the one I pinned that was fruit on bagels, but that would be really expensive. I also wanted to do colored icing on donuts. Maybe in the future.

Blini



In our house we call these crepes, and I make them on nights when Brian is working because he doesn't really love them. We had them with frozen strawberries and Cool Whip. Camille ate the Cool Whip.

Piroshki



Brian was wondering what was up when I served rolls and a vegetable for dinner. Surprise! They were specially filled. I baked these instead of frying them. If I make these again, I will added grated carrot and maybe potato inside.

Russian Beet Salad with Herring



To all you doubters, you were right. This was gross. Brian thought it was gross, but finished his. I thought it was gross and couldn't finish mine. Camille licked the mayonnaise off two pieces of potato and that was all. I used canned salmon instead of herring. I don't think it helped.

I wanted to make borscht, but after the beet salad didn't go over well, I didn't dare. I might still try the apple sharlotka I pinned (think German pancakes with apples and sugar), and I'll probably make the doubtfully authentic orange cookies someday.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

That is such a cute picture of Camille. What I have learned from your post is that Russian food is gross hahaha. The rolls with meat looked pretty good though.

Joanna said...

Maybe I'll make the piroshkis. The seem to be something I could handle no problem. And, I know that beet salad would be nasty. Ben probably would have eaten all his and finished everybody elses.

Emily said...

I've been on the edge of my seat awaiting this post. That is a lot of piroshkis. And once again, I wish we were neighbors.

Shannon said...

Wow, how fun!