Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What's been going on around here

Camille finished her little tumbling class today.



 They gave the kids medals and fruit snacks at the end. Why is it that every children's program must include some sort of final recognition or graduation ceremony? She enjoyed the fruit snacks at least.


We had our little Halloween lunch today.

Candy Corn Fruit Cups

Witches' Brooms

Hot Dog Mummies. Bet you can't guess which ones Camille made.
 We finally replaced the globe willows that fell two years ago. Retrospectively, it was a blessing that they fell the way they did. We got rid of two big, messy trees for free, with only minor damage. I'm still grateful for the Elder's Quorum for saving the day and helping to take down the trees. Anyway, we got a sensation maple for the front yard and a Kieffer pear tree for the backyard. I don't know that I've ever eaten a Kieffer pear, but the tree was appealing because it is self-pollinating and it only cost $12.50. The maple tree only cost $20.



6 comments:

Preston said...

Did you get a sugar maple so you can make your own syrup?

Joanna said...

I need to find some sort of class for Russell.

Janet said...

That's not a sugar maple, it's a box elder, scientifically known as Acer nigra (maybe). Thanks to Jacob for that. Is Camille really good at somersaults now?

Preston said...

lol. Thanks for the scientific name.

I'm now curious to know how Jacob knew that its a box elder? Was there a picture of the sapling that I missed?

Also, can Jacob identify the species of tree from a defoliated sapling?

Sarah said...

Acer negundo 'Sensation' is the scientific name.

Janet said...

Dang, the mess up was me remembering wrong, not Jacob. He knew it from the name Sarah wrote. I don't know what a defoliated sapling even is, so, I don't know what he knows.
We go on plant walks to quiz him for class.