Monday, March 30, 2009

Dear Family,

WE had a good week, but it was pretty busy. We had our multi zone conference, and it was really good. I think I was starting to get trunky, but the conference helped me refocus, so don't worry, we are working hard. We also had interviews. Pres. Leyva said that he and Hna Leyva were talking about me and said that I looked good physically and spiritually, which I thought was kind of weird, but I'll take the compliment. Hna Garrison and I are happy because we met our goal of 7 baptisms this month, ending with 2, Chela y her daughter Gabi. They don't really live in our area, they live in some pueblo in the middle of nowhere that nobody knows. But Chela is the sister of an active family in the ward, so no one said anything. They come to town twice a week to do business. The elders didn't tell us, but three other wards planned their baptisms in our chapel with our baptisms, so we had a night in white. There was a big to-do because of some turn off the lights campaign. The bishop was afraid the city would turn off the electricity, and we wouldn't be able to have the baptisms, but nothing happened. I am really sad though because just in case I brought my wind up LED flashlight, but I found out it was broken. Hna Alfredo is trying to fix it, and when I took it apart to look at it, he was amazed at my fix it ability. But it didn't get fixed. We got caught in more really strong rain storms, but people keep saying that it is about to end. I don't believe them. A sister in the ward had her adobe wall fall over due to the rain, and we are going to have a zone service project to help her clean it up. We are excited today because in Plaza Real, the last spot opened up in the food court, and it's Burger King! We are planning to go today, but it's the end of the month, so we don't have any money. We decided earlier that if we met our goal this month, we were going to have root beer floats, so I'm excited for that, except that there is no root beer in Peru. We'll have to use Inca Cola, but it will probably wait until next month too. One day there was a special ice cream promotion, and it was supposedly, everything for one sol (it wasn't really, it was more like buy an ice cream bar and get a popsicle for free, but you can get away with all types of false advertising here). Anyway, we spent all day trying to buy ice cream, but evertime we got close, there was a big line or the ice cream person was going to other direction. After awhile we got discouraged and didn't end up buying any.

My roommates sent me a (hilarious) newsletter about where we are going to live next fall. I don't know how they found it, because it sounds unreal. Note to Liz and Jenae-where is the house? I saw in the picture that it has a 673 on it, but 673 what? I'm glad Janet found a place to live. And I think it's a decent place. And by the way, the Peruvian mail is forwarding the mail to the new address. I wouldn't put it past them to steal a few of the letters though. I also got a letter from Janet (she voted), and the wedding announcement of Morgan. Hey, guess what we figured out? I know Hna Garrison's roommates. They were both science majors, so they were in some of my classes. Small world.

I have a question that no one answered, will I have a car to use in the fall? And if you are by chance planning to send me a package fo easter, I would enjoy a bottle of maple flavoring, and if it's not too heavy, poptarts. I am having strange American food cravings.

Thanks for your love and support and mail.
Love,
Sarah

1 comment:

Emily said...

Ooh, watch out - I ate Burger King once in Argentina and spent the whole night throwing up. Out of both ends, if you get my drift...