Monday, March 2, 2009

Dear Mom,

Thanks for the letter. I'm sorry to hear that Janet didn't get into Belmont. I guess it's gotten better than the years I lived there. She could always live at Brittany, no I take it back. She could live at Nelson Apts. They are like the cheapest womens apartments south of campus. But seriuosly, Carolyn wrote to me and asked me where we are going to live, so I don't have housing either.

Today is cambios, but I don't think I'll get transfered. After getting transfered so much earlier, I have a feeling I'll be here a while. But you never know. I only have 4 transfers left.

This week we had Piero´s baptism. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing, because we were planning it for the next week, but the assistants called and said that we were close to our mission goal of 308 baptisms, so we should baptize everyone we can. So, we spent a lot of time getting him ready for his baptism. He got baptized Saturday, and Sunday he was confirmed. But after church we realized they only said his first name in te confirmation, and not his second name. So we had to go find him and take him to church in the evening. The bishop reconfirmed him. A conselor to the bishop did the confirmation the first time, but the second time, the bishop gave him the same blessings, just in different words. It was kind of neat.

We are now allowed to eat with members Sundays, and yesterday we did for the first time. The lady wanted us to cook an American dish, so we had to cook the meal ourselves. but it was good, so we didn't complain. We made chicken parmesan, and then in the evening, we had pancakes with maple syrup that I found in Plaza Vea. So we ate almost normal American food all day. But the syrup is expensive, so it's like a splurge.

I enjoyed church yesterday and I learned the following doctrinal points in Relief Society:
1. We are bad members of RS because we don't knit sweaters for kids who need them, and there are woman without hands who are knitting sweaters. I'm not quite sure how. I suppose with their feet or mouth or something.

2. Cancer comes from hating someone. I'll have to study that one when I get back to school.

3. We are all going to hell because we don't work hard enough in the church.

I was a little confused about the topic of the lesson, but it amused me. As for me and my companion, we are working darn hard in la obra misional, so I'm not that afraid that I'm going to hell. Although last week a little girl called us prisioneras instead of misioneras. I guess she was confused about whom we were working for.

I haven't heard anything about bones in Peru. Peruvians don't really care about such things. Plus all our news comes filtered through Hna Clariza, so we only hear what she feels like telling us.

Mom, could you start thinking about registering me for my classes? If you need help, ask Janet. But please don't load my schedule with a whole bunch of hard classes. The class I need to take soon is physiology, and there are strange lab time for that class, so try to sign me up in a good class and lab. PS, I prefer morning classes, and then I could work a 1-5 job.

Thanks for all your love and support.
Love,
Sarah

No comments: