On Fridays I have my evolutionary biology lab. Yesterday in the lab, we studied
sexual selection, using betta fish as examples. The tests involved putting two male betta fish next to each other, each in his own container, but so they could see each other. They would see each other, flare up, and act aggressive until one backed down and swam away. Usually the bigger, brighter fish were the winners. We also put a female between two males to see which male betta the female preferred. She would swim over by the one she liked and get all excited. It was a cool experiment, and the coolest part was that since we are the last section to do that lab, we got to take our betta fish home. Please welcome Achilles to the family.
Just last week we thought about getting a fish, but we decided not to. Since I inherited one anyway, I had to go buy the poor fish some food and a little tank. And I also got him the cool little plant, which he got stuck under last night.
If you were wondering about Achilles's success in the lab tests, he did pretty well, but in the end got beaten out by Silver Thunder and Harold. Now I have to find a place for Achilles to live other than the kitchen counter.
8 comments:
I hope nothing like what happened to Roy happens to Achilles.
Hey, Roy lived to a ripe old age for a beta fish.
Yeah Janet. Roy lived a long and happy life. It was Pip that suffered an unfortunate death. I hoped that he made it all th way to the ocean, but Dad informed me that since we had our own septic system, that was impossible.
Not going to lie, Silver Thunder sounds cooler.
I'm not Janet. I don't know if I should be offended because you don't know who I am or be stoked because you called me Janet.
Hahaha...I was thinking you were doing a public announcement of a different kind of addition :P
Mom's first grandfish!
Oh, yay.
Post a Comment