Saturday, December 26, 2009

How to cook

One of the topics of conversation this Christmas was all the stories about me.  As we talked about them, we laughed a lot, we relived some wonderful memories, and I became more afraid to bring any guy home to meet the family.  I also realized many of these stories were about cooking.  Although Mom said I am a good cook now, it has been a long time coming, with lots of lovely dishes made by me.  Here are some  favorite cooking mistakes, with no accompanying pictures. 

Macaroni and cheese
     It was the first time I made mac and cheese.  I didn't know you have to drain the water.

Kool-Aid
     You may ask who can mess up Kool-Aid, but I could never remember if you were supposed to put in one cup of sugar or two.  It came out Joanna's nose when she drank it and started laughing.

Strawberry bread 
     I thought it would be even better if I  put in even more strawberries, so I put it the whole package, which was twice as much as it called for.  I had made it a couple times that summer for Mom, but she never asked me again after I made this delicious loaf.
    
No-bake granola, and then it became no-bake soup
     I swear the no-bake cookie recipe was bad.  I followed it exactly, but it was so dry that it was more like granola.  Janet and I thought putting some milk in it would help, but then it was just chocolate granola in milk.

Pudding
     Um, I can make pudding really well now.

Mint brownies
     Mom found a recipe for the famous BYU mint brownies and asked me to make them.  I went at it, doing my best.  The brownies turned out really well; then I made the frosting.  I couldn't find the mint extract it called for, but I found some spearmint oil and substituted that.  How was I supposed to know that mint oil is different than mint extract?  The brownies looked and smelled delicious, and they left the  eater with well-cleaned sinuses.  In fact, the eater could barely finish one because they were so dang strong.
   
I'd agree with Mom that I can cook pretty well now.  I may or may not have set the stove on fire tonight when I cooked dinner, but everything still tasted delicious.

8 comments:

Margaret said...

Look what some lucky guy has waiting for him!

Anonymous said...

Oh how funny! I think every person new to cooking has to learn things the hard way! Once I tried to bake a potato but I had let them sit on the counter too long and my thumb went right through it...mold and all. I couldn't eat potatos for three months after that!

Joseph and Casie said...

At least you never put aluminum foil in the microwave. I learned that lesson the hard way! I laughed a lot though when I read you didn't drain the noodles. I bet that was some soupy mac and cheese.

Emily said...

lmho.

That means "laugh my head off."

Way to make me laugh, Sassy.

Next post: Best Sarah Quotes.

Emily said...

To add to the fun, make sure there's a slideshow when Sarah brings home a potential Mr. Right.

Joe said...

I may or may not have done worse in the kitchen. Once I was making something that called for a packet of yeast. Too bad Mom and Dad only bought yeast in bulk!

Pedro Garcia Millan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shalyse said...

You are hilarious! I have some similar stories! Thanks for the laughs!