Wednesday, January 13, 2010

my neighbor

No toying: Provo man uses plastic gun to threaten neighbor

PROVO -- A Provo man was arrested Wednesday morning after he allegedly threatened a neighbor.
Police say the incident occurred at about 10:30 a.m. near 600 E. 350 North. The neighbor was reportedly walking past the house of Glenn Freeman, 50, when Freeman began yelling at him. Provo police Sgt. Matt Siufanua said Freeman then pulled out a gun and pointed it at the neighbor's chest, telling him to leave the neighborhood.
The neighbor left and called police, Siufanua said, and Freeman put the gun back in a holster and went inside his home. Police soon arrived and surrounded the home for about 20 minutes before Freeman came outside and was arrested, he said.
"We found a handgun, a plastic toy gun that he was using, in his house," Siufanua said.
Freeman was arrested without incident and taken to the Utah County Jail. Siufanua said nobody was injured, but Freeman will be facing serious charges. Although he was using a fake gun, the gun was black and appeared real when it was used to threaten the neighbor, he said.
"Because of that, we are able to charge him with aggravated assault," Siufanua said.
Neighbors reportedly told police that Freeman had been saying strange things to them over the last few days. He also was reported to be acting delusional Wednesday.
"We could tell that he's probably been off his medications for a bit," Siufanua said.
According to court records, Freeman has a lengthy history of misdemeanor offenses in Provo City, including disorderly conduct, stalking, intoxication and criminal mischief.

Glenn is my neighbor.  Last night night when we were coming back from a birthday party across the alley Glenn started shouting out into the night, "don't you dare touch those girls, I see you, don't you hurt them."  There was no one there. Then in the morning when Janet and I went running he starting yelling again, only then we couldn't understand what he was saying.  We ran really fast.  I'm glad I live in such a lovely neighborhood.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

I think I told you that the neighborhood was a little worrisome and you said it didn't matter because you'd lived in Peru.

Janet said...

there's an article in the daily universe about it, too. but it's okay, it's all good in the 'hood.

Joseph and Casie said...

Sarah- Janet told me all about this and I laughed a lot. I mean, I am glad you're safe and all but it makes for a really funny story to tell your kids someday!

Emily said...

Cool! Reminds me of Argentina.

Aaron and Katrina said...

scary! I'm glad you're alive!